What Is Marketplace Health Insurance Premiums?
Marketplace health insurance is a service that helps people shop for and enroll in affordable health insurance. The federal government operates the Health Insurance Marketplace, available at HealthCare.gov, for many states. Moreover, some states run their own Marketplaces.
The Health Insurance Marketplace (also referred to as the “Marketplace” or “exchange”) offers health plan shopping and enrollment services through websites, call centers, and in-person assistance.
Small businesses can utilize the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Marketplace to offer their employees health insurance.
When you apply for individual and family coverage via the Health Insurance Marketplace, you will provide income and household information. You will find out if you are eligible for:
- Premium tax credits and other savings that make insurance cheaper
- Health insurance plan through the Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) in your state
On HealthCare.gov, you may be asked to choose your state or enter your ZIP code. If you live in a state that runs its own Marketplace, we will send you to your state’s Marketplace website.
Tips Concerning the Health Insurance Marketplace
- Open enrollment for 2020 insurance has endedBut you may still be able to get Marketplace health coverage for 2020 if you are eligible for a Special Enrollment Period.
- You can register for Medicaid/CHIP at any time of year.There is no limited enrollment period for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). If you are eligible, coverage can begin instantly.
- Do not forget to pay your monthly premium
When you have Marketplace insurance, you will pay your premiums right to the insurance company — not to the Health Insurance Marketplace. Your coverage will not begin until you pay your first premium. Get more information on completing your enrollment.
- Stay healthy and get the care you wantRead “From Coverage to Care: A Roadmap to Better Care and a Healthier You” (PDF) for guidelines on using your new health insurance.
Marketplaces in Your State
Irrespective of the state you live in, you can enroll in affordable, quality health coverage.
State Medicaid Expansion
Some states have expanded their Medicaid programs to cover more persons. Select your state and household size, and we will tell you if your state has expanded and if you may qualify.
Where to Apply for Health Insurance Plan
People in most states utilize HealthCare.gov to apply for and enroll in health coverage.
If your state appears on the list below, you will not employ HealthCare.gov. You will employ your state’s website to enroll in individual/family or small business health coverage or both.
- Rhode Island
- New York
- District of Columbia
Resources and References: