Texas Health Insurance
Residents of Texas can also refer to a number of resources within the state:
Texas Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP) Program
HIPP is the Texas Medicaid program that assists families in paying for employer-sponsored health insurance premiums. It is designed for families with at least 1 person who gets Medicaid.
People enrolled in any affordable Texas health insurance plan, except for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and STAR Health managed care program, are qualified to enroll in HIPP.
There are no age limits in the HIPP program. The family member who has Medicaid and the family member who can get employer-sponsored health insurance can be any age.
Who Can Get HIPP?
If you can answer “Yes” to these questions, you ought to apply for HIPP:
- Does any member of your family get Medicaid?
- Can anybody in your family get health insurance at work?
You might be able to get HIPP if it costs Medicaid less to cover you or your family under the employer-sponsored plan than it costs to cover family members who have Medicaid.
Employer-sponsored health insurance is a group health plan you can get through your work. The family member who gets Medicaid must be able to get coverage on this insurance program.
Benefits of Getting HIPP
There are many advantages to getting HIPP if you or a family member qualifies:
- Your family can select from more doctors than with Medicaid alone.
- HIPP can pay your portion of the employer-sponsored health insurance premiums for the whole family.
- You will not lose your Medicaid benefits.
How to Know Who Pays
- If you have Medicaid and go to a Medicaid doctor, you do not have to pay the deductible or copayment.
- If you have Medicaid, but don’t go to a Medicaid doctor, you must pay the deductible and copay, if needed.
- If you don’t have Medicaid, you must pay the deductible and copay, if necessary.
How HIPP Works
Every health insurance program has a different premium cost and covers different things. To join HIPP, your employer-sponsored health insurance plan must pay at least 60 percent of the expenses when you:
- Visit the physician
- Purchase medicine
- Get care outside the health care facility
- Have lab tests or X-rays
- You are in hospital
This information is covered in the summary of the benefits available from your employer.
What Do I require to do to Get HIPP?
HIPP will require the following information for your enrollment:
- Insurance rate sheet
- Insurance card
- Proof of payment (if enrolled)
After your complete documentation is received, Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) will review your case to determine your eligibility for the Medicaid HIPP Texas health insurance program.
Looking to Buy Texas Health Insurance?
We provide a broad selection of Texas health plans for individuals, families, and small businesses from most of the top Texas health insurance companies.
Resources and References: