Cost of Private Health Insurance
Are you getting government subsidies to enable you to cover health insurance costs? If you receive grants to help you in covering private health care costs, you could be saving a significant amount of money.
But how much do private health insurance companies charge for insurance without a subsidy? Unfortunately, not every individual qualifies for subsidies, so it is essential to see the cost of health insurance without these subsidies.
The following data reflects health insurance costs and shopping trends from the 2018 Open Enrollment Period, which began on November 1 and ended on December 15, 2017.
Average Premiums and Deductibles Nationwide for Unsubsidized Consumers
- Premiums for individual insurance coverage averaged $440 per month. On the other hand, premiums for family plans averaged $1,168 per month. There has been a rise in both individual and family premiums since the initiation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- The average annual deductible for individual health insurance plans was $4,578, and the average deductible for family coverage was $8,803. Notably, there has been a rise in both family and individual deductibles since the introduction of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- $206 for catastrophic plans
- $434 for bronze plans
- $498 for silver plans
- $597 for gold plans
- $709 for platinum plans
Average Monthly Premiums for Private Health Insurance Plans by Age Group Were:
- $231 for individuals under age 18
- $257 for persons aged 18-24
- $312 for persons aged 25-34
- $395 for individuals aged 35-44
- $541 for individuals aged 45-54
- $790 for persons aged 55-64
Average Monthly Premiums for Private Health Insurance by Gender Were:
- 461 for women in 2018
- $418 for men in 2018
The figures above are from eHealth’s Health Insurance Price Index Report for 2018, based exclusively on eHealth shoppers who chose family health insurance plans or different types of private insurance during the 2018 open enrollment period (between November 1 and December 15, 2017) and who did not get get subsidies from the government.
Call for your Quote Today
Stop waiting around! The right insurance provider is out there and we’re going to make sure you’re covered for the foreseeable future. Accidents can happen any time whether it’s day, night, workdays, or holidays. Insurance is the best way to prepare for the unpredictable, and a great way to secure your peace of mind. Give us a call today or fill out the form for a quote – you’ll be glad you did!
eHealth is among the organizations that has national source health insurance data that broadly reflects consumer shopping patterns and buying prices in the self-purchased individual and family health insurance market. eHealth’s report offers insights into the large segment of the family and private health insurance companies that may not qualify for or opt to use government subsidies, and which may shop for coverage through sources other than government exchanges.
Resources and References: