When Can You Change Health Insurance Outside of Open Enrollment?
Open Enrollment is finished. You can still change 2020 health plans if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period due to a life event such as losing other coverage, getting married, or having a baby. You typically have 60 days from the life event to enroll in a new plan, but you should report your change as soon as possible.
How to Change Programs with a Special Enrollment Period
- Log into your Marketplace account.
- Pick your active application under “Your Existing Applications.”
- Choose “Report a Life Change” from the left-hand menu.
- Go through the list of changes and click “Report a Life Change” to get started.
- Select the kind of change you need to report.
- Navigate through the application to report your modification. If your new eligibility results show that you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, you can then buy plans and enroll in a different one.
- Complete all mandatory steps on your online To-Do list. Depending on your eligibility, you may have choices to enter your tax credit amount or answer questions about enrollment preferences. Finish the “Final Review” task to end your update or new Enrollment.
Contact the Marketplace Call Center, and a representative will assist you.
How to Cancel Your Insurance Plan Without Replacing It
You can cancel your Marketplace plan any time, but there are crucial things to consider:
- No one intends to get sick or hurt, but bad things happen — even to healthy people. Having medical debt can really limit your choices. If you’re paying for every medical service yourself, you may make some healthcare choices based on money instead of what’s best for your health.
How to Cancel Your Marketplace plan
You may want to end your Marketplace plan if you get other health coverage or another reason.
- If you’re terminating coverage for everyone on the application, your termination can take effect as soon as the day you cancel, or you can set the Marketplace coverage end date to a day in the future — like if you know your new coverage will begin on the first day of the following month.
- If you’re ending coverage for just some persons on the application,their coverage will terminate immediately in most cases. In some cases, coverage will not end instantly, including when the household members who remain enrolled in coverage qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. The best way to ensure coverage ends on the right date is to contact the Marketplace Call Center and request the change.
When and how to end your Marketplace, plan depends on your condition.
Health Insurance: How It Protects You from Health and Financial Risks
No one plans to get sick or hurt, but many individuals require medical care at some point. Health insurance covers these costs and provides many other important benefits.
- Health insurance covers essential health benefits critical to maintaining your health and treating illness and accidents
- Health insurance protects you from unexpected, high medical costs.
- You pay a little amount for covered in-network health care, even before you meet your deductible.
- You get free preventive care, such as vaccines, screenings, and some check-ups, even before you meet your deductible.
Resources and References: